This can be closed, but I'm not sure how to do this.

  17.10 Black screen pre and post login on virtualbox

Status in gdm3 package in Ubuntu:

  I have been testing the daily builds from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com
  /daily-live/current/HEADER.html on virtualbox
  (https://www.virtualbox.org/) in a windows host.

  I originally installed it a few weeks ago, and would do an apt update
  and apt upgrade every day to get the latest changes. Then when I did
  an upgrade about a week ago, I ran into these issues. I tried
  downloading the new image every day since (although it looks like that
  image has not changed in the past week or so anyhow), and it installs
  fine, I can log in fine, but once I do the apt update and reboot, I
  get a black screen where I should see the login.

  Steps I made to replicate (can someone else verify the same thing happens?):
  - Install virtual box 5.1.28
  - Create a new vm (4GB ram, 10GB hdd)
  - Insert and install the image daily 17.10 image (from link above)
  - Boot to login screen, log in and load to desktop
  - Do a sudo apt update and a sudo apt upgrade
  - At this point it sometimes comes up with the prompt to reboot, either way,
reboot
  - You will find a black screen when you should see the login screen (if you
move your mouse over or click you can see random white pixels around)
  - Before moving the mouse or pressing any keys, press enter, enter password,
press enter again (as you would do normally to log in)
  - For a second the console screen (sometimes purple background, sometimes
black background) shows some feedback
  - Once booted into desktop, all is black again (with random white pixels
sometimes)

  I do not have a PC available at the moment to test on, and haven't had
  a chance to test in a vm with a Ubuntu host (or any other host).
  Ubuntu 16.04 has been working in another vm on the same machine for
  ages, and 17.10 was working until recently.