(I post here the same comment I posted for duplicate bug #1716277):

Same issue on my Ubuntu 17.10 beta, freshly installed (no upgrade).

Just for completeness, this behaviour happens by just dragging any file
from desktop to any other window of nautilus.

Dragging from nautilus to desktop works.
Dragging from nautilus to another nautilus windows works.
Cut/Paste from/to desktop works.

It's the dragging action from desktop that looks flawed.

If useful, here is a screen recording that shows the issue (well, the
initial mouse drag and subsequent click attempts are not clearly visible
but I think that one can get the idea of the problem):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kjzqucqb7hdcnvy/Screencast_drag_issue_ubuntu-17-10-beta.mp4?dl=0

  can't drag file from desktop to folder window on Artful

Status in Nautilus:
  Confirmed
Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

  I'm running Ubuntu 17.10 (Artful).  If I create a text file on my
  desktop and then attempt to drag it into a Nautilus folder window, it
  fails: when I release the mouse cursor over the folder window nothing
  happens and the file is not moved.