So, I don't think there is any problem on the gnome-control-center side:
it just sets the org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.touchpad/send-events
GSetting key to disabled, and that is persisting over sleeps.

The code in mutter watches this key, and calls
MetaInputSettings::set_send_events() on each touchpad device, and
ensures it is called on each new input device.

https://git.gnome.org/browse/mutter/tree/src/backends/meta-input-
settings.c#n667

In a Wayland session, this calls
libinput_device_config_send_events_set_mode():

https://git.gnome.org/browse/mutter/tree/src/backends/native/meta-input-
settings-native.c#n36

The touchpad implementation of this is found here:

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/wayland/libinput/tree/src/evdev-mt-
touchpad.c#n3089

... which calls tp_suspend:

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/wayland/libinput/tree/src/evdev-mt-
touchpad.c#n1670

Which will either leave the touchpad enabled to support soft buttons, or
call evdev_device_suspend() otherwise, which closes the underlying
device.

Looking in /proc, gnome-shell definitely doesn't have the touchpad evdev
device open when I disable the touchpad, but somehow opens it again
after resume.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-settings-daemon in Ubuntu.

  Touchpad won't stay disabled after resuming from suspend

Status in gnome-settings-daemon package in Ubuntu:

  I've disabled my touchpad using the mouse and touchpad control panel
  however it does not last very long i.e. after I've disabled it, it
  somehow becomes enabled even though the control panel continues to
  show it as disabled.

  Package: gnome-shell 3.25.91-0ubuntu3
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME