Ubuntu 17.10 with MATE desktop is affected by this bug (see bug
1720364). I hoped that this would not happen.

I'll continue to use Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with MATE desktop. I hope they fix
this bug before Ubuntu 20.04 LTS release.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-terminal in Ubuntu.

  Binding ctrl+shift, alt+shift, etc for switching keyboard layout makes
  shortcuts with ctrl+shift, etc not working in any program

Status in GNOME Shell:
  Won't Fix
Status in Unity:
  Confirmed
Status in gnome-settings-daemon package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in gnome-terminal package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in unity package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in gnome-settings-daemon package in ALT Linux:
  Unknown
Status in gnome-settings-daemon package in Debian:
  New
Status in gnome-settings-daemon package in Fedora:
  Unknown
Status in gnome-settings-daemon package in openSUSE:

  Tried only with ctrl+shift, maybe behaves the same for other modifier
  key combinations when used as shortcut for switching layouts.

  - Set ctrl+shift as shortcut for switching keyboard layouts
  - Try to use ctrl+shift+v, ctrl+shift+c in Terminal -- it doesn't work
(actually Terminal window loses focus when ctrl+shift is pressed, and layout is
switched)

  ----------
  For other layout switching problems introduced in Ubuntu 13.10 you can see
bug 1218322.

  Package: gnome-settings-daemon 3.8.5-0ubuntu11.1
  ApportVersion: 2.12.5-0ubuntu2.1
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Mon Oct 28 16:40:02 2013
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 13.10 "Saucy Salamander" - Release amd64
(20131016.1)
  MarkForUpload: True
  SourcePackage: gnome-settings-daemon