This bug should be closed.  I can no longer rule out hardware issues.
It is odd that a keyboard issue would manifest only in the login screen
at first, but now fails intermittently after login.  A different
keyboard resolved the issues.

** Changed in: lightdm (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Shift key not working during login

Status in lightdm package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Unable to use capital letters for login password using the shift key.
  The caps lock key works, as does the graphical keyboard input.  After
  login, the shift key seems to work.

  I am using Ubuntu 16.04.3 with the HWE kernel 4.10.0-35
  Release:      16.04