The 11.10 release of Ubuntu saw GDM replaced with LightDM. Does this
problem still exist in the latest release? (I don't have a number pad on
my keyboard to test this out).

** Changed in: hundredpapercuts

Packages, which is subscribed to gdm in Ubuntu.

  Num Lock is not activated by default at GDM

Status in GDM: The Gnome Display Manager:
  New
Status in One Hundred Paper Cuts:
  Incomplete
Status in “gdm” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: gdm

  This is a pretty trivial bug, but it may be a candidate for future a
  100 papercuts cycle. I did try searching to see if it had been
  reported before, but couldn't find any - apologies if I've missed it!

  At present, NumLock isn't enabled when you go to log in to Ubuntu, so
  you have to manually enable it before entering numerical passwords on
  the number pad. While this isn't a critical issue, it is one that I
  feel should be fixed. I don't know anyone who uses the number pad for
  its arrows, and other OSs do enable NumLock by default.

  Additionally to achieve this behaviour at present requires installing
  the numlockx package, and manually editing /etc/gdm/Init/Default -
  which is clearly not appropriate for new users.

  Package: gdm 2.30.5-0ubuntu2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-19.28-generic 2.6.35.3
  Date: Tue Sep  7 12:35:03 2010
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" - Alpha amd64 (20100803.1)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANG=en_GB.utf8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: gdm