what is the newest kernel you can't reproduce the problem with? (you can
use the kernel mainline PPA if you want to help testing)

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-prime in Ubuntu.

  Stuck with nvidia graphics only when using the latest NVIDIA 384/387
  drivers

Status in nvidia-prime package in Ubuntu:

  On a brand new laptop with GTX 1050 TI and Kaby Lake graphics I cannot
  switch back to intel's GPU after installing the nvidia drivers +
  nvidia-prime. prime-select lists the nvidia driver as well as a prime
  variant as the only available alternatives. When switching to intel
  and logging out I get failed logins. If I reboot my screen freezes on
  login. It is possible to do a hard reboot, switch back to nvidia mode
  in a TTY, reboot and login after this happens.

  Package: nvidia-prime 0.8.4
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm nvidia_modeset nvidia
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME