I can import a ".ovpn" file with the "Import a saved VPN
configuration..." under the connection types when adding a new network
connection. Does that not provide the intended functionality everyone is
looking for? This bug may be resolved now

Packages, which is subscribed to network-manager-openvpn in Ubuntu.

  Allow specifying an existing ovpn file instead of using the GUI for
  options

Status in network-manager-openvpn package in Ubuntu:

  Like others in bug #364101, I have a .ovpn file that I can use to
  connect with the openvpn CLI, but I would prefer to use the GUI to
  manage my VPN connections.  Rather than try to add support for every
  configuration option into the GUI, could the ability to use an
  existing .ovpn file be added instead?

  If the openvpn client adds more features, they could be used
  immediately without waiting for a GUI update and people with working
  .ovpn files could easily use the GUI to manage their connections.