I'm not a Ubuntu developer. I just bumped into the disabled calibrate
button and came here via Google. I later realized that it was due to a
calibration device not being connected. I was expecting some manual
calibration instead and incorrectly confirmed this bug.

Packages, which is subscribed to unity-settings-daemon in Ubuntu.

  "Calibrate" in Systems Stettings -> Color disabled.

Status in unity-settings-daemon package in Ubuntu:

  I have an Asus Zenbook NX500. The color profile is wrong as red is
  very, very saturated.

  To fix this I should be able to use Systems Settings -> Color ->
  Calibrate to adjust the settings but this is greyed-out/disabled.

  I've tried running "sudo unity-control-center --overview" to see if it
  was a permissions issues with my account but the Calibrate button
  remains greyed out.

  Since I can't calibrate my screen I consider this a bug.

  d@Epimetheus:~$ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      15.04

  Package: unity-settings-daemon 15.04.1+15.04.20150408-0ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: wl nvidia
  CurrentDesktop: Unity