Basically is the same issue: I have a life book h760 with a docking station
attached to it.
The laptop is closed and two external monitors are attached to the docking
station.
After booting, the GDM appears on the correct monitors. After entering the
password, one gets to gnome desktop and the desktop then goes into standby.

One has to press the turn on button on the docking station to wake up the
laptop.
All settings are default. All updates done. As far as I understood this is the
exactly reported bug here.

The gnome tweak tool is also set to default settings (done nothing
there)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-settings-daemon in Ubuntu.

  System goes to sleep with external monitor and lid closed after login

Status in gdm3 package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in gnome-settings-daemon package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in gdm3 source package in Artful:
  Invalid
Status in gnome-settings-daemon source package in Artful:
  Fix Released
Status in gnome-shell source package in Artful:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Using a laptop with lid closed and an external monitor, you can boot.
  Bios will show on the external monitor, as well as gdm when boot is finished.
  You can then choose a user and type in your password, which is accepted.
  But then, system goes to sleep (as the lid is cloesd I guess).

  Going out of sleep with the power button shows the gnome shell.