This bug was fixed in the package software-properties - 0.96.24.17

---------------
software-properties (0.96.24.17) artful; urgency=medium

  * tests/test_dbus.py: Don't call GTK from multiple processes. We started
    seeing software-properties tests failing with fatal X errors after GTK
    3.22.24 was uploaded. I think what happened was:
      - the testsuite imports GTK (via GI)
      - this import itself initialises GTK, retrieving the value of a load of
        X atoms
      - it forks to start software-properties-dbus in a separate process
      - this process then accesses another X atom after we ask it to do stuff
      - X doesn't like that and kills us
    The testsuite is now rewritten to not fork. We start a separate *thread*
    to run the D-Bus service in. A benefit of this is that we're more
    asynchronous than we were before, so some of the tests are slightly
    refactored to not run their own main loop but instead check that the
    signal emission they're interested in has happened. (LP: #1721828)

 -- Iain Lane <iain.l...@canonical.com>  Tue, 17 Oct 2017 14:05:25 +0100

** Changed in: software-properties (Ubuntu Artful)

Packages, which is subscribed to gtk+3.0 in Ubuntu.

  gtk 3.22.24 breaks software-properties tests (Gdk-Message: setup.py:
  Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :99.)

Status in GTK+:
  Confirmed
Status in gtk+3.0 package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in software-properties package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in gtk+3.0 source package in Artful:
  Invalid
Status in software-properties source package in Artful:

https://objectstorage.prodstack4-5.canonical.com/v1/AUTH_77e2ada1e7a84929a74ba3b87153c0ac
  /autopkgtest-artful/artful/amd64/s/software-
  properties/20171005_224025_dcec3@/log.gz

  I think this is real, although maybe there's a chance it's a bug in
  software-properties.

  test_add_remove_source_by_line (tests.test_dbus.TestDBus) ... Gdk-
  Message: setup.py: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily
  unavailable) on X server :99.

  xauth/Xrdb output:
  Gdk-Message: setup.py: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable)
on X server :99.

  autopkgtest [22:38:16]: test run-tests: -----------------------]
  autopkgtest [22:38:17]: test run-tests:  - - - - - - - - - - results - - - -
  run-tests            FAIL non-zero exit status 1