I have the same problem, using a Lenovo Laptop.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-terminal in Ubuntu.

  keyboard autorepeat not happening when I hold down any key

Status in gnome-terminal package in Ubuntu:

  The failure to auto repeat happens in all terminal apps I've tried in
  Artful. If I open a virtual console, it looks like a phantom is typing
  ^@ about once per second. This prevents successfully typing a
  password, and is probably what is breaking autorepeat in the GUI
  terminals, although they don't show the ^@.  Gnome terminal and guake
  also can't stay scrolled up in the buffer for more than a second
  before popping back down to the bottom.

  This problem happens in the Ubuntu desktop or Gnome and it doesn't
  matter if I pick the xorg or default Wayland options. It happens under
  both the open source and proprietary nvidia drivers. It also happens
  with a newly created user with no home directory baggage.

  xev reports a constant stream of the following about the same frequency as
the ^@ in console:
  KeyPress event, serial 62, synthetic NO, window 0x3800001,
      root 0x1dd, subw 0x0, time 2243032, (20,-13), root:(1375,501),
      state 0x10, keycode 221 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
      XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
      XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
      XFilterEvent returns: False

  If I boot into a recovery shell, the problem does _not_ appear.

  My system was built with a fresh install of 17.04, installed my usual
  packages, then upgrade to 17.10 when the problem began. I'm certain it
  was not present in 17.04 for the few days before I upgraded. There
  were similar bugs reported a decade ago, but didn't help me.

  Expectation: Hold down any key in terminal window. After a moment, the
  letter should repeat until key is released.

  Actually: Key will repeat 0 or a few times, but stop repeating before
  I release the key.

  Package: gnome-terminal 3.24.2-0ubuntu4
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm nvidia_modeset nvidia
  CurrentDesktop: Unity:Unity7:ubuntu