fwiw, If you go into /usr/share/polkit-1/actions
vi *power*
and find
<allow_active>yes</allow_active>

and change them all to no...

<allow_active>no</allow_active>

Then your sleep button is disabled. This is incredibly poorly
documented. I have no idea what ''allow_inactive'' means, or what any of
the stanzas are trying to convey, or why we have 7 languages in those
XML files (I could understand 1 or 150, it's the seven I don't get....
what about standard i18n?) apparently there was a GUI in fedora 11 or
something, but it got removed, and there we are...

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-power-manager in Ubuntu.

  Disabling the suspend and hibernate locks via gconf-editor doesn't do
  anything (from Intrepid to Oneiric included)

Status in One Hundred Paper Cuts:
  Invalid
Status in The Session Menu:
  Triaged
Status in “gnome-power-manager” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in “indicator-session” package in Ubuntu:

  These steps once worked in Ubuntu:

  - open terminal
  - type: sudo gconf-editor
  - navigate to /apps/gnome-power-manager/locks
  - disable lock_on_hibernate
  - disable lock_on_suspend

  Even with these two locks disabled, I still get asked for my password
  when I resume from suspend.

  It's so annoying to enter your password each time you resume from
  suspend and hibernate... (especially if you had to enter a password to
  setup the system-wide disk encryption a few seconds before).

  work around: hibernate/suspend by others means. e.g. "ctrl+alt+del"
  menu or pm-suspend (pm-hibernate) on cli