Linux desktop has two copy-paste buffers, the Primary (aka. Selection)
[usually selected with the mouse and inserted with middle clicking or
Shift+Insert] and the Clipboard [usually Ctrl+C Ctrl+V, but also "Copy",
"Paste" and similar menu entries].

It sucks big time that Linux desktop couldn't overcome this in the past
few decades and unify to have only one.

But in the mean time you shouldn't mix the two methods and expect to
work. It might work here and there, but don't expect it to work
everywhere. It's not gnome-terminal to blame, but the entire Linux
desktop world.

Use either of them, but only of the two methods at a time.

gnome-terminal's "Copy Link Address" right-click menu item copies to the
Clipboard, while Shift+Insert pastes Primary.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-terminal in Ubuntu.

  Link copied with "Copy Link Address" cannot be pasted with Shift-
  Insert

Status in gnome-terminal package in Ubuntu:

  Steps to Reproduce
  ------------------

  1) Open a new terminal
  2) Run a command that will output a URL (e.g. `echo http://www.example.com`)
  3) Right-click on the URL and select "Copy Link Address"
  4) Press Shift-Insert.

  Expected Behaviour
  ------------------

  The copied link should be pasted where my cursor is.

  Actual Behaviour
  ----------------

  Nothing is pasted (or, sometimes, something I copied a while ago is; I
  haven't worked out a pattern to the source of the pasting).

  Package: gnome-terminal 3.24.2-0ubuntu4
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME
  Date: Mon Oct 23 10:52:24 2017
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64
(20140722.2)
  SourcePackage: gnome-terminal
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to artful on 2016-12-05 (321 days ago)