First and foremost, I would like to support this suggestion. Thanks to Chinese
Team to consider a universal font of CJK.
This is because we had some troubles to deal with each fonts' problems in the
past since we cannot know properties of each countries' fonts.
Hence, as we adopt the Noto Sans font, we have chances to commit issues fast
and efficient in the future.

  Furthermore, Noto Sans can save disk spaces and using a universal font might
help to other open source projects when comprising fonts.
In other projects, such as OpenStack, they select fonts and group packages
again to export numorous documents.
If we combine CJK fonts to one font, they don't need to collect each countries'
fonts and save more capcities than each fonts allocated in the disk.
For example, I has been participated PDF export project in OpenStack. One of my
problem is what should I select fonts of each countries.
Thus, I think Noto Sans will help us to choose fonts more simple not only
Ubuntu, but also other great projects.

  Lastly, I asked another user who knows this issue well.
I sent this link to a influential contributor, Jung-Kyu
Park(https://launchpad.net/~bagjunggyu), who has contributed Ubuntu Korea
Community and Elementary OS in Asian fonts, Input applications, and User
Interface for several years. I heard Gunnar Hjalmarsson also knows him.
According to his iMessage, he also agreed that although there might exist
license issues and other issues, Noto Sans font should be chosen as a default
font in CJK.
Therefore, I think other Ubuntu end-users in Korea will also agree this issue.

  I hope three leaders of each counties will make a good decision for
us.

-Ubuntu Korea Community Adviser(and former leader)-

Packages, which is subscribed to language-selector in Ubuntu.

  Switch to Noto Sans as default font for Japanese and/or Korean?

Status in language-selector package in Ubuntu:

  In Ubuntu 16.04 Noto Sans CJK is the default font for rendering
  Chinese. After having struggled with a few issues, I believe that we
  finally achieved the desired improvement of the rendering experience.

  So now I ask: Is there an interest from Japanese and Korean users to
  consider a switch to Noto Sans? (The fonts are already installed for
  all users on Ubuntu 16.04.)