I hope to find some time to improve Gnome Shell's performance/smoothness
by next year (and hope also that others will do the same). Smoother
animations will be less frustrating at least. Although I personally like
the current duration.

As for changing the animation duration, that's an enhancement request
you should probably make directly to Gnome ->
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/

** Tags added: performance

** Changed in: gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-dock (Ubuntu)

** Package changed: gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-dock (Ubuntu) => gnome-
shell (Ubuntu)

  Show Applications animation is too slow

  Opinion

Bug description:
  Clicking "Show Applications" on dock takes too long to display applications
list. First screen fades out, then icons float to screen. While animation
actually takes only about 1s, it feels slow. Whole animation should be 2x or 3x
faster, or icons could just appear with screen fade.
  Ubuntu 17.10