Patches? Ok, this is something I was not aware of and can potentially be
a problem. Where do those patches come from? I don't see them on the
zesty version of modemmanager, same for the one we have in bionic. SRUs
have rather strict requirements, one of which being that later series
cannot revert functionality for packages, enforcing that any change - if
applicable - needs to first be present in the development series (and at
best any other upgrade path from the given upload).

Why were those changes only in the snap version of modemmanager? Are
those unacceptable for general Ubuntu/Debian usage? Are those only valid
for xenial? If there are no good reasons for those, we'd have to first
get those into bionic (or, at best, Debian even) and only then thing
about backporting that into the stable series.

Packages, which is subscribed to modemmanager in Ubuntu.

  Please update modemmanager in xenial to the 1.6 series

Status in OEM Priority Project:
  Confirmed
Status in modemmanager package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  We would like to upgrade xenial to 1.6 series so it supports the same
  modems as the modem-manager snap, specifically some new Sierra modems
  (HL8548 and others from HL series, popular in IoT devices). These are
  the packages that would need to be updated:

  libmbim: 1.12.2-2ubuntu1 in xenial, 1.14.0 in snap
  libqmi: 1.12.6-1 in xenial, 1.16.2 in snap
  modemmanager: 1.4.12-1ubuntu1 in xenial, 1.6.2 in snap

  This is also related to bug #1693756 which includes a subset of
  patches of what would be updated.