It should be noted that I'm on Arch though so I may not be able to be so
helpful with this bug report any more. However we do have Anthy here and
the same issue. But I do remember experiencing on Ubuntu what the other
bug you link is describing.

** Changed in: ubuntu-gnome

** Changed in: gdm3 (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: gnome-control-center (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

** Tags added: artful

** Tags added: bionic

  Unable to type passwords with non-English/non-Latin input source

Status in GNOME Shell:
  Confirmed
Status in Ubuntu GNOME:
  Confirmed
Status in gdm3 package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:

  I recently found that I am unable to type using the "Japanese (Anthy)"
  input source in password fields in gnome-shell. That is I am unable to
  type using it (I just get English) on the login screen in the password
  field (though I haven't tried the username field), I am unable to type
  using it in the graphical prompts for authentication, and I am unable
  to type using it when setting a new password through the gnome-
  control-center.

  I am running Ubuntu GNOME 15.10 with GNOME 3.18 but have also
  experienced this issue with Ubuntu GNOME 16.04 with GNOME 3.18 as well
  as with GNOME 3.20.