Is this related to the fact that I can't access disk folders outside of
snap folder, I guess due to sandboxing? This is a very undesirable
behavior from the office user perspective.

  [snap] Open/Save dialogue should open in Home/My Documents on first
  time

Status in libreoffice package in Ubuntu:

  When you first install the Snap, the first time you try to open or
  save or export a file it should have the Home or Documents folder
  open, but instead it has the ~/snap/libreoffice/17 (or other revision)
  folder open, which is not what the user will want. Also the My
  Documents shortcut on the left points to ~/snap/libreoffice/17 rather
  than ~/documents