Hi staedtler-przyborski, I created the /etc/udev/rules.d/79-udev-
brother.rules file as suggested, no joy. I have written to Brother
support, asking if they're planning the release of drivers libsane1
compliant; I've had an automatic reply suggesting to install the non
working driver... hope I'll get a proper answer anytime soon, I fear
they won't support legacy hardware, but they should indeed support
recent products.

Packages, which is subscribed to sane-backends in Ubuntu.

  Many 3rd party scanner drivers are broken by a sane change

Status in sane-backends package in Ubuntu:

  Many scanners can no more be used since sane has changed something:
  The 3rd-party plug-in the vendor provides as .deb package will still
  install. But the scanner is no more recognized.

  Scanners that are affected are(besides others):
   - Epson Perfection V10
   - Epson Perfection V1000
   - Epson WorkForce GT-1500
   - Brother MFC-8510DN
   - Epson Perfection V33

  It is to note that the probability that the scanner manufacturers fix
  things others broke is below 100%.

  Package: libsane1 1.0.27-1~experimental2ubuntu2
  Uname: Linux 4.14.0-041400rc5-lowlatency x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu3.1
  Architecture: amd64