I have just upgraded to Ubuntu 17.10 (and so switched from Unity to
Gnome 3).

I have a laptop and I sometimes use an external monitor with the laptop
closed (clamshell mode), and I sometimes use the laptop monitor with no
external monitor.

If I change my display settings, eg if I change from mirrored display
mode to extended desktop, or vice versa, it doesn't which direction I
change it, the point is that I change it, then after that change, I can
close my laptop lid, and the laptop will switch to just displaying on
the external monitor, ie, it will work in clamshell mode.

If I then unplug the external monitor, open the laptop and start using
it with its own monitor, and then later I plug the monitor back in (at
this time the monitor turns back on and displays according to whatever I
had the settings at), and then close the laptop lid again, the laptop
suspends, the external monitor turns off, ie clamshell mode doesn't
work.

The thing that seems to trigger to make clamshell mode work again is
that I have to change the display settings, from mirrored to extended
desktop or vice versa, doesn't matter which direction I change it in, as
long as I change it, that seems to tell the laptop that it's allowed to
go into clamshell mode when I close the lid.

So it seems that unplugging the monitor (or maybe plugging it in) resets
whatever prevents the laptop from suspending when the lid is closed, and
reconfiguring the display settings turns it back on.

I've Googled for solutions, most recommend configuring the laptop to not
suspend when the lid is closed, but that's not an acceptable solution -
I don't want the laptop to stay on when I unplug it and put it in my
bag.

Everything worked as expected with Ubuntu 17.04. The laptop suspended
when I expected it to (I'm actually not sure if suspending was caused by
unplugging the external monitor while the lid was closed, or unplugging
the power while the lid was closed, I expect the latter), while closing
the lid while an external monitor was connected didn't suspend (and
again, perhaps this was actually closing the lid when power was
connected that caused it to stay on, not sure).

** Affects: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

** Tags: bot-comment
--
Clamshell mode only works immediately after changing display settings