Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
Ubuntu better. The issue you are reporting is an upstream one and it
would be nice if somebody having it could send the bug to the developers
of the software by following the instructions at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Upstream/GNOME. If you have done so, please
tell us the number of the upstream bug (or the link), so we can add a
bugwatch that will inform us about its status. Thanks in advance.

** Changed in: glib2.0 (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to glib2.0 in Ubuntu.

  "gio open /tmp/whatever.mp3" only opens the file (with totem) every
  other time it is called

Status in glib2.0 package in Ubuntu:

  I run "gio open /tmp/whatever.mp3". It silently does nothing, i.e.,
  the mp3 does not play, and yet exits with status 0. I run exactly the
  same command again. It opens totem to play the mp3. This seems to be
  repeatable: when I run the command repeatedly, it alternatives between
  doing nothing and playing the mp3.

  I've attached two files showing the output of strace when the command
  succeeds and fails. I can't figure out what the heck is going on.

  Package: libglib2.0-bin 2.54.1-1ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu3.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME