Thorsten - you can workaround a few different ways. For me, it's a pain
because I move from a proxy-only to a non-proxy environment as I move my
workstation around.

Workarounds:
1. set the http_proxy, https_proxy, ftp_proxy environment variables in root's
environment, reboot.

2. prefix any apt command with the variables,ie

sudo http_proxy='http://[username]:[password]@[webproxy]:[port]' apt update
sudo http_proxy='http://[username]:[password]@[webproxy]:[port]' apt upgrade
sudo http_proxy='http://[username]:[password]@[webproxy]:[port]' apt install
[package]

Hope that helps. Proxy issues have been appearing on and off in Ubuntu
for a long time (9.x). They usually get sorted out eventually.

etc

  Proxy settings not applied system-wide, are not used by Software
  Update or apt

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:

  The Network Proxy settings available under Settings/Network are not applied
system wide. Unlike 16.x, there is no "apply system wide" setting. Setting a
proxy here:
  - does not modify /etc/environment
  - does not set root's http_proxy, https_proxy, ftp_proxy environment
variables

  This means that apt and Software Updates do not receive the proxy
  settings, and package checks/updates/installs fail.

  workaround: