If I add usr/bin/xdg-desktop-menu and usr/bin/xdg-icon-resource to the
snap, the errors go away, and indeed a desktop file is created in
$HOME/snap/chromium/current/.local/share/applications/.

These desktop files are not marked executables, so double-clicking on them in
nautilus won't work. After marking them executable, interestingly some of them
work, and some don't (they just open an empty browser window with all its
chrome).
An example of a shortcut that works is https://html5test.com. One that doesn't
is https://example.org.

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  [snap] doesn't properly save desktop files for "create shortcuts"
  action

Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu:

  For chrome apps, the create shortcuts action should create desktop
  files but it doesn't.  I suspect it has something to do with paths.

  tracking:    candidate
  installed:   62.0.3202.94 (123) 246MB -