As additional information, I can add that this bug seems to correlate
with monitor type or screen resolution.

When I encountered the error (all the time), I was using a high res HP
Z27s monitor (I attached get-edid and xrand information with Z27s
prefixes). However, since I couldn't work with the bug in effect, I had
to do something and so I tried changing to a normal Samsung SyncMaster
SA650 monitor (information attached with SA650 prefixes) and since then
I haven't experienced the bug.

I hope this extra information is useful. I'm happy to do further
troubleshooting if necessary.

Packages, which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  gnome-shell crashed with SIGSEGV in glsl_type::_vec4_type() from
  intel_update_image_buffers() from intel_update_renderbuffers()

Status in mesa package in Ubuntu:

  This bug is triggered for me by leaving the system inactive for a time
  and it happens whether the system settings is set to lock the screen
  or not, but I can be provoked by locking the screen. At the time when
  I want to reactivate the system (as I can see on the time stamp on the
  crash report), something happens and I loose the entire login session
  and am dropped at the login screen to login anew. This has lead me to
  believe that this has to do with re-enabling the display.

  The effect of this bug is that I loose *all* running programs in my
  session and has to start everything up again, which means that Ubuntu
  17.10 is basically unusable for me. For this reason, of course
  depending on how many people are affected, I think this should be
  considered a high priority bug.

  This is a fresh install with no shenanigans except installing a few
  programs that I needed.

  I happy to provide any extra information is required and to any kind
  of testing that might be required as long as I can return to a non-
  modified system after test.

  Mandatory info:
  lsb_release -rd
  Release:      17.10