The last time it happened, I thought suspend had failed (it does
sometimes), so I unlocked the screen, and then it suspended on me. I
took the laptop into the office, completely forgetting that it had
unlocked the screen.

  In gnome-shell, unlocking screen before suspend completes means no
  password is required on resume

  Sometimes it can take gnome-shell a few seconds after the lock screen
  appears before suspend completes. If during this time you enter your
  password and unlock gnome-shell, upon resume there is no lock screen.
  Obviously this is a security issue, because your data is available to
  whoever resumes the PC.

  To do this, you have to manually suspend the machine (eg by locking
  the screen and then pressing the suspend icon). I often have to do
  this of another bug whereby gnome-shell doesn't always suspend when
  you close the laptop lid if there is an external monitor connected
  (often it just switches to using the external monitor as primary when
  you close the lid).

  Package: gnome-shell 3.26.1-0ubuntu5
  Uname: Linux 4.14.0-rc8-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu3.1