Yeah, sorry about that. I refreshed all of our custom search plugins
just before we released 57.0 and made a mistake with this one. I've
uploaded builds with a fix for this, although they aren't going to be
published until Monday

** Changed in: firefox (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: firefox (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: firefox (Ubuntu)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Chris Coulson (chrisccoulson)

  Google search suggestions do not work due to erroneous URL

Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  Release: Ubuntu 17.04
  Package: firefox 57.0+build4-0ubuntu0.17.10.5

  Google search suggestions (i.e. completion of search terms in the
  address bar) will not work in this release.

  Investigation shows that the problem lies in e.g.
  /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/en-GB/google.xml

  Search suggestions are configured to use this URL:
  https://www.google.com/complete/search?client=ubuntu&q={searchTerms}

  However testing shows that this URL always fails with a 400 error, but if you
replace the "ubuntu" in the URL with "firefox" (as the vanilla Firefox release
has it) then it does work.
  Compare the responses for these URLs:
  https://www.google.com/complete/search?client=ubuntu&q=test
  https://www.google.com/complete/search?client=firefox&q=test

  So if I change "ubuntu" to "firefox" in google.xml, and then start
  Firefox with a new profile, Google search suggestions start workng
  again.