Public bug reported:

So to clarify, the audio is *rapidly* dropping (i.e. drops every sec or
so), which seems roughly in time with Pavucontrol constantly flickering
up a "Establishing connection to PulseAudio. Please wait..." message.

I've tested both the front and back audio plugs on my desktop, both show
the same problem. It doesn't 'flicker' through HDMI-audio, which is a
viable workaround as long as HDMI-audio *works* (I don't think that's a
"bug", so much as it hasn't been implemented, and won't be until DAL
arrives).

Anyway, IIRC the problem also occurs on other distros, and at some point
it *was* working, before some software update. The same problem occurs
on other distros too.

Also, when the audio is playing through my headphones through *non*-HDMI
audio, the audio icon flickers too.

Also, upon trying to get the above icon-flicker to happen again, it's
labelling my headphones as "unplugged" and not playing *any* (audible)
audio.

Package: pulseaudio 1:10.0-2ubuntu3
NonfreeKernelModules: wl
ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu3.5
Architecture: amd64
AudioDevicesInUse:
 USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
 /dev/snd/controlC1:  me        11666 F.... pulseaudio
 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0c:   me        11666 F...m pulseaudio
 /dev/snd/controlC0:  me        11666 F.... pulseaudio
CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME