At least for ubuntu-gnome 17.04, the desktop can be recovered by forcing
gnome to restart, and thus avoid a machine reboot or log out/in

The following appears to work, at least most of the times:
1. open the command prompt with Alt+F2 and type r
2. connect laptop with the docking station and press enter to force the gnome
restart

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-361 in Ubuntu.

  Multiple monitors broken

Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-361 package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-367 package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-375 package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-384 package in Ubuntu:

  I have a Lenovo P50 with Nvidia Optimus (Quadro M1000M), installed with
Ubuntu 16.04 and the recommended Nvidia drivers (361.42).
  I added two external monitors connected to DP sockets in the docking station.
I would like to have display shift to those two monitors when the laptop is
docked. One monitor has native resolution of 1680x1050 and the other is
1920x1080. The laptop native resolution is 1920x1080.

  Expected result:
  laptop monitor shut off, two external monitors running in native resolution,
display shared on both monitors (not mirrored).

  Process:
  I configured the display using the "Displays" applet in the unity control
center. However, pressing "Apply" when changing a specific display setting
(such as resolution, location of screen relative to others, turning on/off),
results in a long period of darkness, usually followed by display falling back
to mirroring of all 3 monitors, using a similar-size screen (either low on all
or high on all with the low-res monitor using panning). The applet remains
frozen for some time, with the dialog "Is the display ok" open but
unresponsive. Later I realized this is because there is another dialog of
"Cannot set screen CRTCXXX" hidden under the two above windows, which needs to
by ok-ed first.

  Extra:
  I also tried setting the display manually with 'xrandr', which lead to a
similar result as above - with the "cannot set screen" dialog, and falling back
to mirroring. This convinced me that the problem is probably with the nvidia
driver and not the higher plumbing.

  Package: nvidia-361 361.42-0ubuntu2
  NonfreeKernelModules: symap_custom_dkms_x86_64 nvidia_uvm nvidia_modeset
nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Mon Aug 22 19:14:55 2016
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20160420.1)
  SourcePackage: nvidia-graphics-drivers-361