Surprisingly, ppmtompeg is *not* removed in the updated Debian
package...

Packages, which is subscribed to netpbm-free in Ubuntu.

  Debian/Ubuntu netpbm is many years out-of-date with upstream

Status in netpbm-free package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in netpbm-free package in Debian:

  I'm having a little trouble following the difference between netpbm-
  free and the upstream version of netpbm available at
  http://netpbm.sourceforge.net, so I'm not sure if the version numbers
  are comparable, but it appears that the netpbm-free package is
  woefully out of date with upstream.

  I'm trying to use the -data option of pnmmontage which is was
  introduced into (upstream) version 10.06 of pnmmontage in 2002 (see

http://netpbm.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/netpbm/stable/doc/HISTORY?view=markup).

  While I'm not sure if the version numbers can be compared easily, it
  appears that Ubuntu is at 10.0 while the upstream netpbm libraries are
  at 10.35.51, which is  6 years covering 40 or so releases ahead of
  Ubuntu/Debian's version.

  What can be done to bring Ubuntu (and Debian) back up to date with the
  upstream versions of netpbm? Are there some licensing issues that are
  holding the repackaging up?