Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: libreoffice (Ubuntu)

  libreoffice soffice.bin using 100% cpu

Status in libreoffice package in Ubuntu:

  With literally every action in libreoffice Calc, CPU usage goes to
  100% due to soffice.bin, and stays on 100% for minutes. To the extend
  that libreoffice calc is UNUSABLE for anything that has to do with
  spreadsheets. As far as I am concerned, this is a critical bug because
  it makes the program unusable, and often even the complete computer
  due to the high cpu load.

  - 'Every action' includes typing as much as one single letter in a cell. Or
opening the file.
  - the file I am working on is only 1.1Mb in size
  - the same file used to open fine in previous versions of libreoffice.

  what I've tried so far - without any improvement in speed:
  - under tools, options, assigned memory 256 Mb for Libreoffice, and 20Mb per
object (no solution)
  - automatic calculation has been turned off (no solution)
  - libreoffice-gnome and libreoffice-gtk have been removed (no solution)
  - purged and reinstalled libreoffice. (no solution)
  - created new user profile - also no resolve

  System: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on AMD A8 with 8Gb ram and running on an SSD.
  Libreoffice:
  Version: 5.1.6.2
  Build ID: 1:5.1.6~rc2-0ubuntu1~xenial2
  CPU Threads: 4; OS Version: Linux 4.4; UI Render: default