[Expired for gnome-shell (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for
60 days.]

** Changed in: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

  changing display mode after login terminates session

  Expired

Bug description:
  When I login, I type the password on the laptop screen. (Maybe it's
  important.) After a while, while I'm waiting to get logged in, Ubuntu
  changes the display mode. Both monitor goes black, laptop screen
  becomes the secondary and my external monitor becomes the primary
  display. Because of Ubuntu is unable to remember to the previously set
  display mode, I usually change it a bit after I have logged in.
  However, if I (would like to) do this too quickly, say... less than
  4-5 seconds after I can see my desktop, my session gets terminated and
  I'm returned to the login screen. You can repeat it indefinitely, it
  always worked for me.

  I thought it's because of one of my extensions but I could reproduce it after
I have disabled them.
  I haven't found any useful log entries.

  UPDATE 1:
  While I was writing this, I thought it has something to do with theme loading
or something like this, so I continued to test with startup applications.
  I just rarely managed to reproduce this bug when I didn't execute the
following script (as a file) at login:
  ```
  #!/bin/bash
  sleep 1s; firefox     &
  sleep 1s; thunderbird &
  ```

  I also noticed that after I have some faulty logins and then I login
  without changing display mode, I >sometimes< have no desktop, no
  startup applications and when I click power off/logout buttons nothing
  happens, but that's sure I will being logged out randomly in the near
  future - even if I don't touch my computer (I'm talking about
  minutes).

  Plus, I can see the desktop and the top bar (so it's the primary
  screen) with two wide black bars on the two sides of my laptop monitor
  for a moment before I get logged out. (However, I don't see any
  resolution changes so I guess it's not 640x480, or 800x600, etc.)

  Package: gnome-shell 3.26.1-0ubuntu5
  NonfreeKernelModules: vtsspp sep4_1 socperf2_0 pax
  ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu3.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME