Must say that like many others I had the habit of double clicking a URL in
order to copy it - a task which I repeatedly do in my work as to paste the URL
in a text editor in order to track report URLs which I'm spawning via the
terminal.
It seems to me that the fact that many users relied on this "accidental"
feature, should cause a change in mind and make it an actual feature.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-terminal in Ubuntu.

  double clicking on a URL drops the protocol from the URL

Status in Gnome Virtual Terminal Emulator:
  Confirmed
Status in gnome-terminal package in Ubuntu:

  After upgrading to 15.10 beta from 15.04, when I double click on a
  URL, I lose most of the protocol, e.g. if I type
  'http://www.ubuntu.com/' into a terminal and double click, what gets
  selected (and entered into the copy buffer) is '//www.ubuntu.com'