To clarify, do you mean the characters don't appear in the app, or the
characters don't appear in the OSK?

** Also affects: caribou (Ubuntu)

** Tags added: osk

Packages, which is subscribed to caribou in Ubuntu.

  caribou (gnome-shell osk): special characters not working

Status in caribou package in Ubuntu:

  I'm on Ubuntu 17.10 (fully updated, including Gnome-Shell). Hardware
  is a Lenovo X1 Carbon Laptop with Touchscreen. I've reproduced this
  issue on both Wayland and XOrg. I've reproduced this issue on the
  17.10 live CD (Xorg) and on a fresh 17.10 (Wayland) install in VBox.

  Bug: Caribou/Gnome-Shell Wayland support for Caribou does not display
  the vast majority of special characters (the ones that you long press
  on vowels to get). Nor do the upside down question and exclamation
  marks work on it either. Nor do the Euro or Sterling signs work. This
  makes it impossible to use when writing in any other languages than
  English.

  1)  lsb_release -rd
  Release:      17.10

  2) package version:

  caribou:
    Installed: 0.4.21-2
    Candidate: 0.4.21-2
    Version table:
   *** 0.4.21-2 500
          500 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  gnome-shell:
    Installed: 3.26.2-0ubuntu0.1
    Candidate: 3.26.2-0ubuntu0.1
    Version table:
   *** 3.26.2-0ubuntu0.1 500
          500 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-updates/main amd64
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       3.26.1-0ubuntu4 500
          500 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful/main amd64 Packages

  3) What do I expect to happen: I expect that when I long press on e and get
the popup and select ê, ë that these letter appear
  4) they do not. nothing happens