It happened on a fresh login for all categories in the software store on
16.04. I upgraded my 16.04 machine to 17.10, but I could wipe the OS
partition and reinstall 16.04 this weekend to test if the software store
still has the same problem with displaying categories.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-software in Ubuntu.

  Categories in Ubuntu Software don't work

Status in gnome-software package in Ubuntu:

  I'm a developer on the Polarr team for Linux, and users should be able
  to find the Polarr app under the Photography category of the Ubuntu
  Software store.

  I attached a screenshot of the Photography category in the Ubuntu
  16.04 Software store. The other categories are similarly non-
  functional.

  As you can see, there are only ellipses where there should be icons
  and descriptive text for each of the photography applications.
  Clicking on the items doesn't do anything.

  Package: ubuntu-software 3.20.5-0ubuntu0.16.04.7
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.10.0-42.46~16.04.1-generic 4.10.17
  Uname: Linux 4.10.0-42-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.15
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Thu Jan  4 10:41:25 2018
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20170801)
  SourcePackage: gnome-software