** Changed in: gedit
Status: Unknown => New
** Changed in: gedit
Importance: Unknown => Low
--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop
Packages, which is subscribed to gedit in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1744946
Title:
Special characters change the width of trailing/leading space
character in Gedit (and medit)
Status in gedit:
New
Status in gedit package in Ubuntu:
New
Bug description:
If I paste a special character - say from the Character Map - into
Gedit or medit in Ubuntu 16.04 into the middle of a line, then the
space characters directly after the special character display with a
"compressed" character spacing until the behaviour is "interrupted" by
a standard text character.
So the basic problem result is that the uniform monospacing of
characters gets out of alignment on lines above and below the lines
with the special character problem.
I posted a detailed question on AskUbuntu and the prevailing opinion was that
I should log a bug report.
Another user with different versions was easily able to reproduce the same
issue .
https://askubuntu.com/questions/986258/why-do-special-characters-
change-spacing-following-space-character-in-gedit-or-m
Please see that post for full details, worked example, and
screenshots.
Additional comments:
* As stated above:
- running Ubuntu 16.04
* This affects:
- Gedit 3.18.3
- medit 1.2.0
I am aware that it is thus not strictly a gedit issue, and probably
affects multiple Gnome editors under multiple Linux variants - but
Gedit is my favourite text editor and Ubuntu is my favourite Linux so
I thought I would start here.
$ lsb_release -rd
Description: Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
Release: 16.04
$ apt-cache policy gedit
gedit:
Installed: 3.18.3-0ubuntu4
Candidate: 3.18.3-0ubuntu4
Version table:
*** 3.18.3-0ubuntu4 500
500 http://za.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
$ apt-cache policy medit
medit:
Installed: 1.2.0-2
Candidate: 1.2.0-2
Version table:
*** 1.2.0-2 500
500 http://za.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/universe amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/gedit/+bug/1744946/+subscriptions
--
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
Post to : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp