I am also one of the affected users. I want to contribute towards fixing
this / writing enhancements in the ALSA / pulseaudio. How do I get
started with audio driver development?

Packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  sound only coming from left speaker on acer predator (fresh install)

Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu version: Ubuntu  16.10 and a fresh install of 17.04 and even
  fedora F25-WORK-x86_64-20170228 via live usb

  Device: acer predator: G9-593-7757 15,6"/i7-7700/32 GB RAM/512 GB
  SSD/1 TB HDD/GTX1070

  expected: sound comes out of both left and right speaker and the
  subwoofer

  what happened instead:
  Sound only comes out of the left speaker or subwoofer.

  More system information:

  $ aplay -l
  card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC255 Analog [ALC255 Analog]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

  audio chip (on motherboard): VGA Chip nVidia N17E-G2-A1 GP104-725-A1

  note that that is only 1 device, one would expect several here.

  I attempted to fix this by modifying the /etc/pulse/deamon.conf into the
following:
  # This file is part of PulseAudio.
  #
  # PulseAudio is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
  # it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by
  # the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
  # (at your option) any later version.
  #
  # PulseAudio is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
  # WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
  # MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
  # General Public License for more details.
  #
  # You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public License
  # along with PulseAudio; if not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

  ## Configuration file for the PulseAudio daemon. See pulse-daemon.conf(5) for
  ## more information. Default values are commented out.  Use either ; or # for
  ## commenting.

  ; daemonize = no
  ; fail = yes
  ; allow-module-loading = yes
  ; allow-exit = yes
  ; use-pid-file = yes
  ; system-instance = no
  ; local-server-type = user
  ; enable-shm = yes
  ; enable-memfd = yes
  ; shm-size-bytes = 0 # setting this 0 will use the system-default, usually 64
MiB
  ; lock-memory = no
  ; cpu-limit = no

  ; high-priority = yes
  ; nice-level = -11

  ; realtime-scheduling = yes
  ; realtime-priority = 5

  ; exit-idle-time = 20
  ; scache-idle-time = 20

  ; dl-search-path = (depends on architecture)

  ; load-default-script-file = yes
  ; default-script-file = /etc/pulse/default.pa

  ; log-target = auto
  ; log-level = notice
  ; log-meta = no
  ; log-time = no
  ; log-backtrace = 0

  ; resample-method = speex-float-1
  ; enable-remixing = yes
   enable-lfe-remixing = yes
  ; lfe-crossover-freq = 0

  flat-volumes = no

  ; rlimit-fsize = -1
  ; rlimit-data = -1
  ; rlimit-stack = -1
  ; rlimit-core = -1
  ; rlimit-as = -1
  ; rlimit-rss = -1
  ; rlimit-nproc = -1
  ; rlimit-nofile = 256
  ; rlimit-memlock = -1
  ; rlimit-locks = -1
  ; rlimit-sigpending = -1
  ; rlimit-msgqueue = -1
  ; rlimit-nice = 31
  ; rlimit-rtprio = 9
  ; rlimit-rttime = 200000

  ; default-sample-format = s16le
  ; default-sample-rate = 44100
  ; alternate-sample-rate = 48000
  default-sample-channels = 3
  default-channel-map = front-left,front-right,lfe

  ; default-fragments = 4
  ; default-fragment-size-msec = 25

  ; enable-deferred-volume = yes
  deferred-volume-safety-margin-usec = 1
  ; deferred-volume-extra-delay-usec = 0

  but this did not work. I also tried various other permutations to see
  if changing the order of  front-left,front-right,lfe would work but it
  did not. I also tried to see if it would work in fedora but the same
  problem occurred there. When on ubuntu 16.10 at first only the
  subwoofer seemed to be working and altering the file only the left
  speaker was working. On ubuntu 17.04 only the left speaker was working
  regardless of how I altered the above file.

  Note that the speakers work perfectly fine on windows 10.

  Looking around online there seem to be a lot of problems with acer
  predator laptops and sound on ubuntu.