I hope this patch might make things work out-of-the-box on new installs.

I didn't find out how to prevent the link from /usr/lib64/ to
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu to appear on ia32. But hey don't harm.

And I didn't find any good way to handle the case that libsane is
updated when /usr/lib64 already exists: I can move all the 3rd-party
sane drivers over to the new directory. But what happens if there are
other libraries from the system that is upgraded and that still lie in
this directory?

An alternative would be finding out the names of all packages epson and
brother provide and symlink every file individually. Is it feasible to
create such a list?

** Patch added: "The  1st try to create a patch that makes libsane1 work
out-of-the-box with popular scanners."

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sane-backends/+bug/1707352/+attachment/5045380/+files/libsane1.patch

Packages, which is subscribed to sane-backends in Ubuntu.

  the change from libsane to libsane1 broke many (all?) 3rd party plug-
  ins for sane

Status in sane-backends package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in sane-backends source package in Artful:
  Fix Released
Status in sane-backends package in Debian:

  Note to SRU Team
  ================
  The first proposed fix (1.0.27-1~experimental2ubuntu2) failed because it
needed to be a versioned Provides, not just a Provides.

  Impact
  ======

  1) The Debian maintainer renamed libsane to libsane1-experimental "to
  match with the soname". This apparently fixes a Lintian warning, but
  makes installing 3rd-party plug-ins hard, as they typically depend on
  "libsane", not on "libsane1". The first try to add a "Provides:
  libsane" to libsane1 (which created a virtual package) didn't make
  drivers installable that claim to depend on a minimum version of
  libsane as virtual packages are ignored in this case.

  2) The soname change might be justified by the new version breaking
  (several? most?) 3rd party plug-ins even if the library version number
  doesn't indicate any bigger change than any ordinary new version of
  the library - which might indicate that this phenomenon might be an
  upstream bug.

  libsane 1.0.25 in zesty includes libsane.so.1.25
  libsane1 1.0.27 in artful includes libsane.so.1.27

  It is to note that depending on the manufacturer for many old scanners
  there won't be new versions of the plug-ins that are recompiled like
  this.

  Test Case
  =========
  Visit http://support.epson.net/linux/en/iscan_c.html
  Download the amd64 deb .tar.gz
  Unzip it.
  Install the iscan .deb from the core folder.

  It won't install before this SRU because it Depends: libsane

  Regression Potential
  ====================
  The fix here was proposed to the Debian maintainer in July but there's been
virtually zero response on it. In the meantime the workaround that was proposed
initially has started to result in automatically uninstalling gtk - which makes
the system basically useless.

  It doesn't seem like adding the Provides will make things any worse
  for third-party drivers but it has a goodme chance of making things
  better for some.

  Original Bug Report
  ===================
  I don't know if that can be prevented in the long run. But both brscan (for
my brother scanner) and iscan (for my epson scanners) have been broken by the
change from libsane to libsane1. For iscan I have unpackaged the debian
package, changed the dependency it contains from libsane to libsane1 and
installed the changed package. But even then my epson scanners no more work
leaving me without any scanner => Reporting a bug.

  Impossibility of workarounds
  Just installing an old version of libsane is impossible as it uninstalls
libgtk (which depends on libsane1 which conflicts with libsane) making the
system basically useless.

  Package: libsane1 1.0.27-1~experimental1ubuntu2
  Uname: Linux 4.13.0-041300rc2-lowlatency x86_64