Hi,
The default.svg file opens each time Inkscape opens a new document. Users can
save a custom version with settings for size, units and more.

Tutorial:
http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entry/using-templates-in-inkscape

I usually also set the "scale" to 1 (and units to px) to ensure scale is
consistent with extensions and across programs.

TD

Packages, which is subscribed to inkscape in Ubuntu.

  Document property profiles

Status in Inkscape:
  New
Status in inkscape package in Ubuntu:

  This is less a bug and more a usability suggestion. I noticed with
  Inkscape 0.92, display and measurement units default to mm instead of
  pixels. Previous versions defaulted to pixels, if I remember right. I
  rarely use mm in my work, so I have to change this every time. There
  is no way that I know to change the default document properties.

  Each time a new Inkscape document is opened, I have to select the
  properties required for the project. If I create multiple documents
  that require the same properties, I still have to go through the same
  selection process each time. It would save time if I could create a
  document property profile to save for future use. If this were
  implemented, I could then open the document properties box, select the
  profile and click apply. This would improve workflow by saving extra
  clicks to setup a document.

  Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
  Inkscape 0.92.2+68~ubuntu16.04.1

  I expected the default units to be pixels. Instead they were mm. This
  caused unexpected dimensions in my drawing until I realized the
  default units were different in Inkscape 0.92 from previous versions.
  There is currently no way that I know to change the default document
  properties.