Ubuntu 16.04 still shows this behavior. :-(
Makes a very big argument against switching to Linux

Packages, which is subscribed to gvfs in Ubuntu.

  Browsing smb share is painfully slow

Status in gvfs:
  New
Status in gvfs package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: gvfs

  I would like to open a new bug with the same issue as bug #186461,
  browsing samba shares is painfully slow.

  I don't notice this at home on my 100Mbit network with no so much
  directories but at work, over a 10Mbit leased line and hundreds of
  directories on a share, every operation takes 10-15 seconds until you
  get a bit deeper into the hierarchy inside a directory with only a
  couple of directories/files in it.

  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:        8.04

  $ dpkg -l | grep gvfs
  ii  gvfs                                       0.2.5-0ubuntu2
                            userspace virtual filesystem - server