i had time to test this right now and sadly the problem persists in ubuntu
gnome 18.04 daily
Because there it's a bug with apport-collect i made another bug report with
ubuntu-bug and mark as a dublicate

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  PulseAudio can not remember my settings between reboots

Status in mate-control-center package in Ubuntu:
Status in mate-settings-daemon package in Ubuntu:
Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

Bug description:
  Pulseaudio can not remember my settings between reboots. I have a usb mic
named WUP-021-0 Analog Mono and i use for output Built-in Audio Analog Stereo.
But every time i open my pc or reboot it my output setings will default to my
mic WUP-021-0 Analog Mono.
  Tested in ubuntu 18.04 daily

  Package: pulseaudio 1:11.1-1ubuntu6
  ApportVersion: 2.20.8-0ubuntu8
  Architecture: amd64
   /dev/snd/controlC1:  apolihron   1590 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  apolihron   1590 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC2:  apolihron   1590 F.... pulseaudio
  CurrentDesktop: MATE