I've figured it out - it's because after installing the communitheme and
removing it, I logged into a standard Wayland session rather than the
standard Xorg one, the bug is actually that the fonts are broken in the
snap on a Wayland session

** Summary changed:

- [snap] Fonts seem 'thinner' than they should be
+ [snap] Fonts seem 'thinner' than they should be on Wayland

** Tags added: wayland

** Description changed:

+ Edit: on second thoughts, I think the below seemed to change the
+ situation because it meant I logged into the Ubuntu session instead of
+ the Ubuntu on Xorg session. The bug is simply that fonts look 'thinner'
+ than they should in the LibreOffice snap on Wayland, and it's only the
+ snap that's affected.
+
+ ---
+
  After using `sudo add-apt-repository ppa:communitheme/ppa` and adding
  the packages there, and then installing `ppa-purge`, removing the
  packages, and using `ppa-purge` on the PPA, my fonts in the LibreOffice
  snap seemed to break. I've given an example of 'a quick brown fox jumps
  over the lazy dog' and a screenshot of a Writer document and its PDF
  export in Document Viewer side by side.

  ```
  $ snap info libreoffice
  tracking:    candidate
  installed:   6.0.0.3 (47) 408MB -
  $ snap version
  snap    2.31
  snapd   2.31
  series  16
  ubuntu  17.10
  kernel  4.13.0-32-generic
  $ snap info core
  tracking:    candidate
  installed:   16-2.31 (4017) 85MB core
  ```

  Also applies to libreoffice 5.4.4.2 (46, stable) on core  16-2.31 (4017,
  candidate) and core 16-2.30 (3887, stable).

** Changed in: libreoffice (Ubuntu)

  [snap] Fonts seem 'thinner' than they should be on Wayland

Status in libreoffice package in Ubuntu:

  Edit: on second thoughts, I think the below seemed to change the
  situation because it meant I logged into the Ubuntu session instead of
  the Ubuntu on Xorg session. The bug is simply that fonts look
  'thinner' than they should in the LibreOffice snap on Wayland, and
  it's only the snap that's affected.

  ---