Thank you for reporting this bug to Ubuntu.
Ubuntu 17.04 (zesty) reached end-of-life on January 13, 2018.

See this document for currently supported Ubuntu releases:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

We appreciate that this bug may be old and you might not be interested
in discussing it any more. But if you are then please upgrade to the
latest Ubuntu version and re-test.

If you then find the bug is still present in the newer Ubuntu version,
please add a comment here telling us which new version it is in and
change the bug status to Confirmed.

** Changed in: pulseaudio (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  Sound is not automatically switched back from headphones to speakers

Status in PulseAudio:
  Confirmed
Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  When plugging in headphones, sound output is correctly switched from
  speakers (line out) to the headphones. When the headphones are
  unplugged, sound is NOT automatically switched back to the speakers.

  This bug started happening on my system after I upgraded from 14.04 to
  15.10 so it is a regression. Attached is pulseaudio log of what
  happens when I plug and unplug my headphones.