** Information type changed from Public to Public Security
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop
Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-shell in Ubuntu.
gnome-shell hangs (goes into key repeat runaway) when key repeat is
used on chromium-browser's address bar
Status in GNOME Shell:
Status in gnome-shell package in Ubuntu:
GNOME Shell running in Wayland completely hangs when the key repeat
rate is sufficiently high and used inside Chromium and/or Google
Chrome. Then GNOME Shell, at-spi's dbus-daemon, ibus-daemon, and
chromium-browser all get stuck at 100% CPU. GNOME Shell's RSS also
quickly increases to >2GB and continues climbing.
Attempting to kill chromium-browser in a separate TTY either causes one of
- gnome-shell, dbus-daemon and ibus-daemon remain at 100% CPU and stuck; or
- gnome-shell temporarily recovers, then crashes, taking the entire session
with it and returning to the login screen.
Steps to reproduce:
1. Set key repeat rates to a high value (these are my actual
$ gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.keyboard repeat-interval 3
$ gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.keyboard repeat true
$ gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.keyboard delay 180
2. Start chromium-browser
3. Focus the location bar in chromium-browser
4. Press and hold a key (e.g. a) for a few seconds (~10 should do)
5. Observe that gnome-shell probably has hung by this point. If it hasn't,
proceed to step 6.
6. Press and hold the backspace button until the location bar has cleared,
then continue for another few seconds (~10 seconds should do)
This also affected GNOME Shell 3.24, but I was able to reduce the chances of
it happening by renicing my chromium processes to +10, thereby giving GNOME
Shell a greater chance at the CPU.
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 17.10
Package: gnome-shell 3.26.1-0ubuntu5
Uname: Linux 4.13.4-hyper2+ x86_64
Date: Fri Nov 10 16:50:13 2017
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to artful on 2017-11-04 (5 days ago)
To manage notifications about this bug go to:
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
Post to : email@example.com
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp