After getting over the confusion caused by your example, and inputting
the entire command on one line, it did solve the problem. Thanks. The
diagnostic could have been less cryptic.

On 22.02.2018 12:06, Olivier Tilloy wrote:

> The error message about
> ~/.libreoffice/{3,4}/user/config/javasettings_Linux_*.xml is unrelated,
> it is simply telling you libreoffice cannot find a JRE (but it will work
> fine without it, for the most part).
>
> What you're seeing is apparmor confinement finally working as intended. The
> package had been shipping apparmor profiles for some time, but they were not
> functional, and they have been fixed.
> Those profiles allow reading/writing office documents in $HOME, /mnt and
> /media (that excludes /home2/).
>
> Can you try running the following command in a terminal, and confirm
> that this "fixes" your issue:
>
> sudo apparmor_parser -R
> /etc/apparmor.d/usr.lib.libreoffice.program.*
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1751005 [1]
>
> Title:
> libreoffice cannot open a document not within $HOME
>
> Status in libreoffice package in Ubuntu:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> Starting with today's update to LibreOffice 5.4.5.1 40m0(Build:1),
> files not within the user $HOME directory cannot be opened. This has
> nothing to do with ownership or permissions - the target document is
> owned by the user with full permissions. Moving the file to ~/Desktop
> allows it to be opened normally.
>
> Error message in popup window:
> Access to /home2/mico/documents/personal/2018 lists.ods was denied.
>
> Error message when launched from terminal:
> $: localc "2018 lists.ods"
> javaldx: Could not find a Java Runtime Environment!
> Please ensure that a JVM and the package libreoffice-java-common is installed.
> If it is already installed then try removing
> ~/.libreoffice/3/user/config/javasettings_Linux_*.xml
> Warning: failed to read path from javaldx
>
> The file mentioned in the error message does not exist.
> I removed the corresponding file under ~/.libreoffice/4/ but that makes no
> difference.
>
> This but started in Ubuntu 18.04 (alpha) around Feb. 15, and with
> today's update (Feb. 22) it appeared in Ubuntu 17.10.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 17.10
> Package: libreoffice-core 1:5.4.5-0ubuntu0.17.10.1
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.13.0-36.40-generic 4.13.13
> Uname: Linux 4.13.0-36-generic x86_64
> ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu3.7
> Architecture: amd64
> CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
> Date: Thu Feb 22 09:35:49 2018
> InstallationDate: Installed on 2018-01-27 (25 days ago)
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 17.10 "Artful Aardvark" - Release amd64 (20180105.1)
> SourcePackage: libreoffice
> UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>  [2]

Links:
------
[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1751005
[2]
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice/+bug/1751005/+subscriptions

  libreoffice cannot open a document not within $HOME

Status in libreoffice package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid