First a question for clarity: is this apparmor issue related to having
libreoffice installed as a snap, or is this native to the archive
version as well?

Second: I honestly can't grasp these kind of policy changes are rolled
out without having the slightest idea on what impact this might cause on
the installed base (which, as is clearly shown with the recent
discussion on capturing data during installation, is a given fact). I
use ZFS for my Documents, others might have a btrfs subvol, a separate
filesystem, data on a NAS, or removable storage. This just breaks
because we did apt-get upgrade on a current stable release of Ubuntu
(yet we won't get LO6 on Xenial or Artful). This to me seems
unacceptable and annoying to say the least.

If confinement has become a must-have, a decent file access interface
that allows the user to provide access (as we do on phones) is a must-
have. At least make sure the error is captured properly so we know what
to do.

  libreoffice cannot open a document not within $HOME

Status in libreoffice package in Ubuntu:
  Opinion

Bug description:
  Starting with today's update to LibreOffice 5.4.5.1 40m0(Build:1),
  files not within the user $HOME directory cannot be opened. This has
  nothing to do with ownership or permissions - the target document is
  owned by the user with full permissions. Moving the file to ~/Desktop
  allows it to be opened normally.

  Error message in popup window:
    Access to /home2/mico/documents/personal/2018 lists.ods was denied.

  Error message when launched from terminal:
  $: localc "2018 lists.ods"
  javaldx: Could not find a Java Runtime Environment!
  Please ensure that a JVM and the package libreoffice-java-common is installed.
  If it is already installed then try removing
~/.libreoffice/3/user/config/javasettings_Linux_*.xml
  Warning: failed to read path from javaldx

  The file mentioned in the error message does not exist.
  I removed the corresponding file under ~/.libreoffice/4/ but that makes no
difference.

  This but started in Ubuntu 18.04 (alpha) around Feb. 15, and with
  today's update (Feb. 22) it appeared in Ubuntu 17.10.

  Package: libreoffice-core 1:5.4.5-0ubuntu0.17.10.1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu3.7
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME