Public bug reported:

I have installed gnome-session package to try the clean GNOME experience
on Ubuntu, then decided to switch back to Ubuntu session. After a next
boot, the GNOME session is displayed again as the default (selected)
session, but the actual default one is Ubuntu. See the attached
screenshot.

** Affects: gnome-session (Ubuntu)

** Tags: bionic

** Attachment added: "gdm_sessions.png"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1751301/+attachment/5061198/+files/gdm_sessions.png

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-session in Ubuntu.

  GNOME session is showing as default session even if not a default one

Status in gnome-session package in Ubuntu: