Update: So, no, EnableWayland=false didn't really fix the issue here.
Instead of the mouse being not clickable in gdm and gnome shell, gdm
works fine, but once I log in, I have artifacts all over the place
(greenish squares, single pixels from the normal image, etc). Leaving
EnableWayland=false commented out, but starting a X.org session from the
gear menu in gdm makes it work again.

  [artful] mouse clicks are completely ignored both in Gnome's gdm and
  once logged in to the desktop

  After upgrading from 17.04 to 17.10, I encounter strange mouse issues,
  namely :

  - The mouse cursor moves allright

  - But mouse clicks are completely ignored both in Gnome's gdm and once
  logged in to the desktop, they are also ignored in all the Gnome panel
  and lef side dock.

  However, once started using keyboard, mouse DOES work INSIDE applications
allright (all the times), and SOME windows can be moved by dragging their title
bar when focus is given to them (i.e. I currently have a gedit window that I
can move around with the mouse, while I cannot move a gnome-terminal or the
firefox in which I type this text).
  Also, a directory/file selection dialog for the "save" action in gedit works
perfectly well with the mouse.

  This is definitely not a hardware mouse issue.

  But I cannot change focus with the mouse, I have to [Alt]-[Tab] to
  change window.

  Also if I shift focus to the desktop, I can interact with icons on the
  desktop and the right-click on the background *may* work.

  I've purged all the .something config dirs in my homedir to no avail
  (and I don't believe it relates to it because gdm shows this behaviour
  even before I actually login).

  I've seen the exact same problem (after upgrade from 17.04 to 17.10)
  being reported on miscellaneous forums by at least 3 other people. So
  I'm not alone, but I have no clue.

  Trying to investigate this I checked a big part of my system's
  configuration and fell upon im-config.

  I have noticed that, when completely uninstalled (all the files that
  it refers to being removed), then reinstalled, this package actually
  FAILS installing any of its configuration files (but without any error
  message), resulting in the following situation :

  root@totor:~# dpkg -r --force depends im-config
  dpkg: im-config : problème de dépendance, mais suppression comme demandé :
   language-selector-gnome dépend de im-config (>= 0.29-1ubuntu10~).

  (Lecture de la base de données... 387605 fichiers et répertoires déjà
installés.)
  Suppression de im-config (0.32-1ubuntu3) ...
  Traitement des actions différées (« triggers ») pour man-db (2.7.6.1-2) ...
  Traitement des actions différées (« triggers ») pour desktop-file-utils
(0.23-1ubuntu3) ...
  Traitement des actions différées (« triggers ») pour gnome-menus
(3.13.3-6ubuntu5) ...
  Traitement des actions différées (« triggers ») pour mime-support
(3.60ubuntu1) ...

  root@totor:~# apt-get install im-config
  Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
  Construction de l'arbre des dépendances
  Lecture des informations d'état... Fait
  Les NOUVEAUX paquets suivants seront installés :
    im-config
  0 mis à jour, 1 nouvellement installés, 0 à enlever et 0 non mis à jour.
  Il est nécessaire de prendre 0 o/24,5 ko dans les archives.
  Après cette opération, 365 ko d'espace disque supplémentaires seront utilisés.
  Sélection du paquet im-config précédemment désélectionné.
  (Lecture de la base de données... 387551 fichiers et répertoires déjà
installés.)
  Préparation du dépaquetage de .../im-config_0.32-1ubuntu3_all.deb ...
  Dépaquetage de im-config (0.32-1ubuntu3) ...
  Paramétrage de im-config (0.32-1ubuntu3) ...
  Traitement des actions différées (« triggers ») pour mime-support
(3.60ubuntu1) ...
  Traitement des actions différées (« triggers ») pour desktop-file-utils
(0.23-1ubuntu3) ...
  Traitement des actions différées (« triggers ») pour man-db (2.7.6.1-2) ...
  Traitement des actions différées (« triggers ») pour gnome-menus
(3.13.3-6ubuntu5) ...

  root@totor:~# dpkg -V im-config
  ??5?????? c /etc/X11/Xsession.d/70im-config_launch
  ??5?????? c /etc/X11/xinit/xinputrc
  ??5?????? c /etc/default/im-config
  ??5?????? c /etc/profile.d/input-method-config.sh

  Any help greatly appreciated, my desktop being currently quite unusable.

  Package: im-config 0.32-1ubuntu3
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu3.1
  Architecture: amd64