Yes it probably makes sense to wait until after the LTS to drop those.
Will revisit early next cycle.

I have dropped the upstart patch on bzr branch for now.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-session in Ubuntu.

  patch review of gnome-session

Status in gnome-session package in Ubuntu:

  I have had a look through the current gnome-session packaging and
  there are a number of packages which I would like to drop.

  22_support_autostart_delay.patch - This was broken while we were
  running under upstart user sessions, not sure if it currently works
  with systemd, however the few apps that may be using it, should
  probably be using systemd --user sessions?

  95_dbus_request_shutdown.patch - This predates the dinosaurs, no idea
  if anyone is using the dbus API's butthis should all have been
  superceeded by logind?

  export_env_to_upstart.patch - upstart is no longer in the archive,
  this is no longer needed.

  13_display_session_properties.patch and
51_remove_session_saving_from_gui.patch should just be merged into the
gnome-session-properties revert patches, if we decide to keep it.

  ignore_gsettings_region.patch - should probably be added in debian,
  unless its specific to ubuntu specific patches in accountsservice or
  so?