Good to see that it is fixed in Ubuntu-16.04-LTS.
Unfortunately, when I had tried to upgrade to 16.04, the kernel did not work
with my i915 video card (I can search to see if there is any updated info about
that).
For bug of High importance, would have liked to see a fix for 14.04 as it is
LTS.
I did find info on another interesting potential workaround: PdfChain
(https://www.hecticgeek.com/2011/12/pdf-manipulator-for-ubuntu-linux/) / pdftk
(http://www.cs.unb.ca/~bremner/blog/posts/filling_in_forms_with_pdftk/) can
apply FDF data - however unfortunately that appears to be more work than
writing with a pen on a printed blank form.
[It's tax season again.]

Packages, which is subscribed to evince in Ubuntu.

  PDF form fields black with California tax forms in evince & xpdf in
  Ubuntu-14.04

Status in evince package in Ubuntu:

  https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2016/16_540.pdf
  (5844d712b8addc1f89d13ff7c2e40210)

  Firefox PDF viewer: displays normally - form fields are blank, white
  or clear background.  This is the expected behavior.

  Evince & xpdf: California tax form field backgrounds are black.
  Filling in the form in evince results in unreadable blue on black in
  the form entries.  When I fill in some fields in evince, print-to-
  file, and file-open in Firefox, the form fields are blue on black.
  (By contrast, evince & xpdf both display IRS f1040 correctly.)

  evince 3.10.3-0ubuntu10.2, Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS, Unity, i915 video,
  32-bit kernel on i86-64 hardware.

  Package: evince 3.10.3-0ubuntu10.2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-106.153-generic 3.13.11-ckt39
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-106-generic i686
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.23
  Architecture: i386
  CurrentDesktop: Unity